Tuesday, December 07, 2010

SPFile Problems with ASM Instance

Early this morning... very early, I had to bounce a 10.2.0.4 instance on a Linux server to accommodated the addition of 1 terabyte of additional space to latter be presented to ASM. Everything was business as usual; that is, until I tried to restart the ASM instance. At which time I encountered the following two errors:

ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
LRM-00109: could not open parameter file '/u01/app/oracle/.../initsid.ora'

The file it was path'ing in the error message was not there.

So here is how I got the instance to start:

At first, I thought I was going to have to go to the alert log and pull out the parameters (and work them over to fit the proper syntax) and put them into a replacement init file. I didn't really want to do that.

So I looked around some and found the spfile binary under the asm dbs directory. I issued the following commands to create myself a new pfile:

sqlplus / as sysdba

Connected to an idle instance.

create pfile = 'path to where I wanted the pfile created'
from spfile = 'path to where the spfile binary was that I had located';

This worked like a charm creating the replacement pfile. I was then able to issue the startup pfile command and got the ASM instance up and running again.

No comments: